Welcome to Cumann Na Daoine ~ Community Development Resource Centre website.
A Brief History
- Origins date back to Youghal Community Development Project in 1997
- Established as a company (Cumann na Daoine) in 2002
- Part of the National Community Development Programme until 2011
- Secured grant of €1.16m from Dormant Accounts to buy community building
- Opened new community facility in September 2008
What We Are
- Cumann na Daoine works with individuals and groups to help identify their needs and empower people to work together on a common agenda
- It provides information and training to support people to improve their quality of life
- Provide rooms to agencies to run courses and event at a low cost
- Cumann na Daoine is managed by a Voluntary Board of Management – local people who give their time to manage and guide the work and staff of the Resource Centre (currently 9 Directors)
Board of Management
- Margaret Arundel (Company secretary)
- Peggy Biessman
- Dolores Corcoran (Chairperson)
- Mary Daly White
- Michael Dempsey
- Stephanie Whyte
- Margaret Kelleher
- Lorraine O’Sullivan Walsh
- Angela O Loughlin
- Liam Power
- Biddy Phelan (Treasurer)
- Pat Reilly
- Katherine Twomey
Sub Groups (Management + others) include:
- Staff Liaison
- Finance Group
- PR Sub Group
A Welcoming & Accessible Community Resource Centre
- We support other groups in Youghal (eg RAPID AIT, Youghal Residents Network, Community Based Drugs Initiative, Family Support Project, Youghal Community Response Network, Youghal Community Health Project, Men’s Peer Project)
- We provide room and office space for other community groups/activities (eg North Lee Mental Health Service & Counselling, Aspire, Employability, Cardiac Support Group, Department of Social Protection Clinic and Training Courses, SECAD courses, GROW, Weight Watchers, Yoga, Indoor Bowls, Down Syndrome Ireland, Sinead Sheppard Dance Class, Keniry/Cahill School of Dance, Inch Bingo, Youghal Lace Group, Care & Repair, Slimming World etc
- Cumann na Daoine is managed by a Voluntary Board of Management – local people who give their time to manage and guide the work and staff of the Resource Centre There are currently 13 on the board 9 of which are Directors of the company
Inspirational short film celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cumann na Daoine.
Cumann na Daoine Ltd is a community based organization in Youghal. It is managed by a Voluntary Board of directors & Management members & local people who give their time to manage and guide the work and staff of the Community Development Resource Centre. Cumann na Daoine is a limited company with charitable status.
Overview of Background
- First public meeting held in March 1997, which resulted in a group of local people deciding to stay together and undergo training with Community Consultants and Support Agencies from Cork and Limerick
- In 1998, the group found a little office space in the Community Centre with support from SECAD (ECAD at time) for the employment of a development worker
- The group managed to acquire bigger office space and training rooms at No. 10 North Main St and also acquired 2 part time CE workers, both SECAD and Youghal Credit Union were the only financial support to the group at this time.
- After much training in management skills, finances, committee roles etc and development of work plans Youghal Community Development Group were accepted into the Community Development Programme (CDP) in 2002 and joined over 180 funded projects in Ireland.
- The group were now named Cumann na daoine. A recruitment process took place to employ a full time Coordinator and part time administrator. In December 2002 they were both employed. In 2005 funding became available to employ a part time Community Development worker.
- In 2006 we were successful in obtaining €1.16 million from the dormant accounts and we purchased the League of the Cross building. After much work and refurbishment we moved into the building in August 2008, and now we have a thriving Community Development Resource Centre.
- We work in conjunction with the HSE, Dept Social Protection, RAPID, SOLAS, Education Training Board (formerly the VEC), SECAD, Age Action Ireland, and Community Radio Youghal.
- There are numerous social groups who are involved with Cumann na Daoine such as our very successful Women’s group, Music group, Men’s Sheds/Social Group.
- Cumann na Daoine were the owners of the original community bus which was set up in 2010
In 2011 Cumann na Daoine (along with all the other) ceased to be a Community Development Project. A directive from government, saw the community development programme now being managed by local partnerships, in our case SECAD who now manage the new Local & Community Development Programme (LCDP)
Cumann na Daoine no longer receive direct funding from any statutory body for staffing or to run the building. It was a sad day for us but we have managed to stay strong and we continue to keep providing much needed support to the community of Youghal.
Cumann na Daoine continues to works with both individuals and groups, to support people to improve the quality of their lives in a safe, confidential and comfortable environment, where they can build confidence, gain skills, and have an awareness of social issues.
In 2016 Cork County Coucil and HSE South suppported Cumann na daoine with funding towards the new post of employment of a Development Manager.
At our premises in Catherine Street, Cumann na Daoine in conjunction with government bodies and voluntary groups provide education and training opportunities, employment supports, Deptartment of Social Protection Information clinic, to help people back into further education or to the work force. These is also support through personal development initiatives, health courses and general socialization through the many social/support groups attached to Cumann na Daoine and the 28 service/users of the resource centre.
Where feasible we can provide room space at reasonable rates.
Office hours are Monday to Thursday 9am to 5:30pm Fridays 9am – 5pm
Contact the office on 024 91900